INSiGHTZ: An Insight into YOUR dance journey with Pablo Brown
INSiGHTZ: An Inisght into…
An online series and archives with UK dance professionals sharing valuable insights within the dance industry.
Series 1 - ‘An insight into YOUR dance journey’ - Inspiring and motivating youth
Formulated by: Tamar Dixon
Disclaimer: This interview has been transcribed. Some responses are altered/edited.
Transcribed: 21st May 2019
1. TELL US ABOUT YOURSELF. WHAT DO YOU DO AND WHAT IS YOUR MAIN DANCE STYLE YOU WORK IN?
My name is Pablo Brown and I run a company called Music Drives Kreativity in Young Geniuses, MDKYG. Our main style of dance is Break, Bboy and Bgirl.
2. WHY DANCE? WHAT OR WHO INITIALLY INSPIRED YOU TO BEGIN YOUR DANCE JOURNEY?
Dancing has always been a part of me and is part of my family through generations. I have been inspired by family members that's how I started the (dance) journey.
3. WHERE WAS YOU 5 YEARS AGO? (E.G. CAREER, DANCE LIFESTYLE, JOURNEY)
5 years ago I first went international. Starting doing competitions in Europe and then joined a crew in Birmingham
4. WHERE DO YOU SEE YOURSELF IN 5 YEARS TIME?
In 5 years time I see myself travelling more. Running my own jam & events. Also to see the kids I am coaching now on big platforms and offering more classes
5. WHAT CHALLENGES HAVE YOU FACED SO FAR ALONG YOUR DANCE JOURNEY/PRACTICE?
There has been a lot of challenges. It's mainly getting people involved, believing in what I do and pushing it further
6. WHAT HAS BEEN YOUR BIGGEST ACHIEVEMENT SO FAR?
Biggest achievement so far is creating this company MDKYG and having people train under me. Coaching the dancers to be as good as my son (Bboy Cyper Cat)
7. IF YOU COULD GO BACK IN TIME, WHAT WOULD YOU TELL YOUR YOUNG 16YR OLD SELF?
If I could go back in time I would tell my 16yr old self to save and invest in myself more
8. WHAT ADVICE WOULD YOU GIVE TO THE YOUNGER (CREATIVE) GENERATION?
I would tell the younger creative generation to believe in themselves and they can achieve anything they put their mind to and again save and invest in yourself
9. HOW DO YOU STAY FOCUSED, POSITIVE AND MOTIVATED THROUGHOUT YOUR PRACTICE/TRAINING?
I don't really train myself but keeping the younger generation motivated. It is pretty hard work, it goes up and down. I have to use many different tactics. Talking to them positive (e.g. words of encouragement and affirmations). Sometimes you have to be harsh
10. RANDOM… BUT WHAT DO YOU DO IN YOUR FREE TIME? WHEN YOU AREN’T IN DANCE/WORK MODE.?
In my spare time I do a lot of research. I watch movies. Laugh and joke with friends and family. Best medicine for everything
BONUS QUESTION (OPTIONAL): ANY LAST FEW COMMENTS OR WORDS OF ENCOURAGEMENT FOR OUR INSPIRED READERS?
Keep doing what you are doing. Don't give up you'll get there in the end.
Thank you to Pablo for taking part in our INSiGHTZ series.
Learn more about Pablo and MDKYG at MDKYG
Stay posted for next weeks INSiGHTZ - Fridays 7pm
Comment below and share your thoughts on this weeks blog post